Thursday, March 31, 2011

What's in a name?

     
     What’s in a name? Everything! Names can cause heartache or triumph. They’re an adjective that’s so powerful tears of joy or sorrow can come with a mere mention. I’m trying to teach my kids the lesson that names are so important. 
    
      That was one way I knew a new chapter in my life had begun. I knew when we planned our family that I would have to be one of “those” moms who work outside her home. So when the day finally came to take my precious baby boy to the wonderful, loving people who would care for him in my absence there were no tears. Not from me and certainly no from him. When I arrived to retrieve him that first day one of the other mommies was there & she called me a name. She said “Oh you must be Robert’s mom”. There it was. She called me a name that no one outside our family had used to describe me before. MOM – it hit me like a ton of bricks; the newest chapter in my life – MOM. It brought tears to my eyes. It’s a name I wear proudly. So fast forward 5 years. I’m having a conversation with Lauren (who is 2) on our way to her school. I say “La, do you prefer to call me Mommy or Mom?” Imagine my surprise when she says “Um, Paula”. I had worked pretty hard to be called Mom. Guess I need more teaching time with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment